Support for home owners

Last updated: 7 April 2017

Programs and services to help home owners stay in their homes.

Movable units

Movable units are movable buildings that can be set up in the backyard of a friend, relative or carer’s home.

There are options for eligible:

  • Older people
  • People with a disability or support needs
  • 12 to 25 year olds
  • Home owners with dependants.

For more information, see Movable units.

Support for people with a disability to stay at home

If you have a disability, you may be able to get help from us to stay in your home. This may be through:

  • An individual support package
  • Outreach support.

You may be able to get help through the the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) if it is available in your area.


The NDIS is a new way of delivering services and support for people with permanent disability in Australia.

The NDIS started rolling out in Victoria in July 2016. The roll out will finish in 2019.

You can find out when your area will get the NDIS on the Getting ready page of the NDIS Victoria website.

Visit the NDIS Victoria website for more information on the NDIS in Victoria.

Individual support package

These are funds for people to meet their disability-related support needs.

People can use the funds to buy the services or supports they need. This includes (but is not limited to) things that may help them stay at home.

We have more information about individual support packages on our departmental website.

Am I eligible?

If you have a disability under the Disability Act 2006, you can register for an individual support package.

How do I apply?

We have step-by-step information on applying for disability support on our departmental website.

You can also contact our Intake and Response service.

Outreach support

This provides up to 15 hours per week of home and community based support. Our departmental website has more information about outreach support.

Am I eligible?

A person between 6 and 64 years old with an acquired brain injury, intellectual or physical disability, or a degenerative neurological condition may be eligible for outreach support.

How do I apply?

Contact our Intake and Response service.


To find out more about help from us, including how to apply, contact our Intake and Response service:

  • Ph: 1800 783 783 (free call)
  • TTY: 1800 008 149.

More information about our disability services is on our departmental website.

Support for older people to stay at home

Commonwealth Home Support Programme

This program provides services to help older people stay at home and be more independent in the community.

It may be able to help you to get some assistance with daily tasks or basic care.

There are around 630 agencies in Victoria that provide the service. You need to contact them directly.

For a list of services and to find out more:

Commonwealth Home Care Packages

This program provides services to help older people with slightly more complex needs to stay at home and be more independent in the community.

Younger people with a disability, dementia or other special care needs may be eligible for a home care package.

To find out more:

Housing for the Aged Action Group

This group provides a free service that can help with:

  • Information on housing options if you need to find better, more affordable and secure accommodation
  • Advice and support if you are having difficulty paying rent, living in housing that is in poor condition or having problems with your tenancy agreement.

Call 1300 765 178 if you need help or go to the Housing for the Aged Action Group website to find out more.

Advice for home owners

There are a number of organisations that can help you if you are having problems in and around your home.To find out what help is available and where you can get more information, see Get home ownership advice.

Was this page useful?

Back to top