Support for private renters

Last updated: 19 September 2017

These programs may help people stay in their rented home.

Support for people with a disability

If you have a disability, you may be able to get help from us to stay in your home. This may be through:

  • An individual support package
  • Outreach support.

Individual support package

These are funds for people to meet their disability-related support needs.

People can use the funds to buy the services or supports they need. This includes (but is not limited to) things that may help them stay at home.

We have more information about individual support packages on our departmental website.

Am I eligible?

If you have a disability under the Disability Act 2006, you can register for an individual support package.

How do I apply?

We have step-by-step information on applying for disability support on our departmental website.

You can also contact our Intake and Response service.

Outreach support

This provides up to 15 hours per week of home and community based support. Our departmental website has more information about outreach support.

Am I eligible?

A person between 6 and 64 years old with an acquired brain injury, intellectual or physical disability, or a degenerative neurological condition may be eligible for outreach support

How do I apply?

Contact our Intake and Response service.


To find out more, including how to apply, contact our Intake and Response service:

  • Ph: 1800 783 783 (free call)
  • TTY: 1800 008 149.

More information about our disability services is on our departmental website .

Support for older people

Commonwealth Home Support Programme

This program provides services to help older people stay at home and be more independent in the community.

It may be able to help you to get some assistance with daily tasks or basic care.

There are around 630 agencies in Victoria that provide the service. You need to contact them directly.

For a list of services and to find out more:

Commonwealth Home Care Packages

This program provides services to help older people with slightly more complex needs to stay at home and be more independent in the community.

Younger people with a disability, dementia or other special care needs may be eligible for a home care package.

To find out more:

Housing for the Aged Action Group

This group provides a free service that can help with:

  • Information on housing options if you need to find better, more affordable and secure accommodation
  • Advice and support if you are: having difficulty paying rent; living in housing that is in poor condition; and having problems with your tenancy agreement.

Call 1300 765 178 if you need help or go to the Housing for the Aged Action Group's website to find out more.

Help with tenancy issues

You can get help if you are having problems with your landlord or real estate agent, like you are being treated unfairly or get a notice to vacate that was issued incorrectly or without the right reasons or notice period.

To find out what help is available and where you can get more information, see Get rental advice.

What to do if you get a notice to vacate

A notice to vacate is a legal notice. If you get one it means that the landlord or real estate agent has begun legal action because you may have breached your tenancy agreement. For example, you could be behind in your rent.

Getting a notice to vacate doesn't always mean that you need to move out immediately.

For information, advice and what to do:

If you need to find a new place to live, see Finding a place to rent for tips and information.

If you are a low income earner, you may be eligible for support, see help to get into private rental.

Was this page useful?

Back to top