Private rental is housing that is available in the private rental market. It covers a range of housing types, including houses, apartments and caravan parks.
There are a number of options depending on what you need.
- Houses, flats, apartments and townhouses: These are usually found through newspaper, online and real estate agent listings. See Finding a place to rent for some tips
- Student housing: This housing is mostly provided by tertiary institutions. Check university or TAFE websites and noticeboards to see what's available. See the Tenants Union of Victoria website for information about student housing
- Rooming houses: Always check that a rooming house is registered before you sign an agreement or move in
Read more about rooming houses on the Consumer Affairs website. Consumer Affairs Victoria's website also has a full list of rooming houses
- Caravan parks: These can offer low cost shorter term accommodation. Contact caravan parks in the area you want to live to find out what they offer and the costs
- Sharing: Consider sharing a place with someone else, like a friend. That way you can share the rent payments and other bills. Youth Central website also has information on sharehousing.
Our section for private renters and renting has information and services to help you get into and stay in private rental.
- Youth Central: Housing and accommodation advice for young people
- Tenants Union of Victoria: Information about renting including inspecting and applying for properties and credit checks
- Consumer Affairs Victoria's renting section: Everything you need to know about renting from before you sign the lease until after you move out.