Getting along with neighbours

Last updated: 19 October 2017

Whether you are at home or in the area, you and your visitors should not disturb your neighbours – and they should not disturb you.

A public housing tenant that does not respect their neighbours' rights may be evicted.

The neighbourly behaviour statement outlines the responsibilities of tenants, including respecting their neighbours' right to peace, comfort and privacy.

Being neighbourly

Keep the noise down

Keep noise to a minimum, especially late at night and early in the morning. This includes music, construction, air conditioners and vacuum cleaners.

EPA Victoria has a list of prohibited times for different noise types on their website. They also have advice on how to deal with noisy neighbours.

Look after children and visitors

Children have a right to play and be safe. Make sure they don't trespass onto other people's property.

Respect other people's privacy

It's good to have a friendly chat with your neighbours, but remember that most people like their privacy.

Keep the place looking nice

If you live on an estate or in a block of units, we'll look after shared areas, like stairways or lawns.

You can help to keep things clean and tidy by putting your rubbish in the bin.

Having a problem with a neighbour

If you are having a problem with a neighbour, the best thing to do is talk to them. You may be able to work together to find a compromise that makes you both happy.

If that doesn't work, contact your local council or the Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria.

If the problem is serious, like being harassed, call the police straight away.

It's a good idea to keep a record of antisocial behaviour. Write down what happened, and the time that it happened. This could used as evidence if we need to take legal action against a neighbour causing problems for other people.

Neighbours who are public housing tenants

If the neighbour you're having trouble with is a public housing tenant, contact your local office. We have a legal responsibility to make sure you have peace and quiet at home.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

This free service helps people work out their problems.

The disputing parties meet with two independent mediators. They discuss the issues, think about solutions and decide on an outcome that everyone agrees with.

It deals with lots of issues including fencing problems, trees, animals, noise and other neighbourhood disputes.

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria, Department of Justice and Regulation
Ph: (03) 9603 8370 or 1800 658 528 (free call).

Was this page useful?

Back to top