Transfer, swap, move

Last updated: 13 September 2017

If you live in public housing and your needs change, there are options to get a property that suits you better.

Move into private rental

You may be able to get a bond loan from us to help you get started. You can also get rent assistance and sign up for affordable housing.

We can also give eligible people a rental reference. This letter confirms that you have kept a public housing tenancy.

To find out more, go to Moving to private rental and Help to get into private rental.

Transfer to another social housing home

If your circumstances change, you can apply to transfer to another home. Your local office will be able to help you.

Swap with another public housing tenant

If you are a public housing tenant you can swap properties with another tenant. This is called a mutual swap. 

Get a movable unit for your backyard

Movable units are movable buildings that can be set up in the backyard of suitable properties.

There are options for eligible:

  • Older people
  • People with a disability or support needs
  • 12 to 25 year olds.

For more information, see Movable units.

When you move out

When it's time to move out, you must tell your housing services officer in writing. Include when you are leaving and where you are moving to.

Go to Moving out to find out what else you need to do to meet your obligations.

Was this page useful?

Back to top