Public housing waiting list
The public housing waiting list is changing.
Community housing applications are being transferred to the Victorian Housing Register. While this happens, there will be a different reporting process.
Once the register is fully in place, we will be able to report on the true number of social housing applications in Victoria.
While the Victorian Housing Register is being implemented, the waiting list reporting process will be different.
We have to transfer and sort more than 15,000 community housing applications, some of which could be duplicates, inaccurate or out of date. This process will take time.
During the transition, we will report on the progress of the transfer process.
The transition report will show the changes to Victorian Housing Register numbers while community housing organisation applications transfer to the register. You may notice some changes to the numbers throughout the transfer process. To understand how this new reporting process works see the Victorian Housing Register Transition report explained (.pdf).
During the transition, we will still report on application numbers by local area. The Victorian Housing Register and transfer list by local area report is based on where households currently live. In the past, this report was based on where people want to live.
Once the transfers are complete, we will continue to report on application numbers by local area, based on where people currently live.
At the end of the process, we will know the number of social housing applications in Victoria. We will also better understand the needs of people who have applied and be able to offer them more housing options.
The Victorian Housing Register transition report shows the changes to register numbers while community housing applications are being transferred.
- Victorian Housing Register transition report – March 2018 (.xlsx)
- Victorian Housing Register transition report – December 2017 (.xlsx)
Victorian Housing Register and transfer list by local area
The Victorian Housing Register and transfer list by local area is updated every three months. It shows how many people are waiting to move and transfer to a social housing property.
- Victorian Housing Register and transfer list by local area – March 2018 (.xlsx)
- Victorian Housing Register and transfer list by local area – December 2017 (.xlsx)
If you are on the waiting list and have found suitable housing, let us know as soon as possible by contacting your local housing office.
Wait times will depend on your circumstances.
Things that affect the length of time you may wait include:
- The preferred location that you have chosen
- The number of applications already on the register
- People who have demonstrated a housing need under one of the Priority Access categories
- The number of homes in demand in a given area and how often properties become vacant
- If you have special location requirements or need a particular type of property (for example, one with modifications), it may take longer.
You cannot choose a specific suburb to live in. This is because social housing properties are grouped into areas.
Preferred areas are made up of neighbouring suburbs and towns that are linked by public transport.
You can choose up to five waiting list areas to live in. We may offer you a property in any suburb from these areas.
You can change your preferred areas if you need to while your application is on the waiting list.
See the list of Victorian Housing Register areas (.docx) to help you choose.