Approved for social housing: what's next?
Once you have been approved for social housing, you will be put on the Victorian Housing Register.
Priority for housing is given to people who need help because of homelessness or other critical circumstances.
There are two categories for social housing applications:
- Priority Access for people:
- Who are homeless and receiving support
- Who are escaping family violence
- With a disability or who have significant support needs or
- With special housing needs.
- Register of Interest – this is for all eligible applicants to register their interest in social housing.
While you are on the Victorian Housing Register you should regularly check for private rental properties that may be suitable for you.
On this website, you can find:
- Financial help available to get into private rental
- Tips on finding a place to rent
- Financial help to stay in private rental, including what concessions are available.
It is very important you tell us if your circumstances change, if you have found other accommodation or if you change your current address.
If we can't contact you, your name may be taken off the Victorian Housing Register or you may miss out on an offer of housing.
If you need to change your:
- Contact details
- Household members
- Waiting list area preferences
Fill in the change of application details form (.pdf). There is also an accessible version of the change of application details form (.doc).