Public housing movable units
These movable units are self-contained units that can be set up in the backyard of a friend or relative's home. The units are a type of public housing.
Public housing movable units are mainly for older people and people with a disability or support needs so they can live independently.
One or two people can live in the units, which have:
- A bedroom
- An ensuite bathroom and toilet
- A living room
- A kitchen.
Two-bedroom units can be used by:
- Households that need separate bedrooms
- Single people that need another bedroom for medical reasons.
See Anne and Dan's story for an example of what movable units are like.
You can also read the video transcript (.doc).
There is also more information about the design and layout of movable units.
- The main house must be occupied
- The units cannot be attached or joined to the main house
- The size or the structure of the units cannot be changed.
You can rent a unit if you are a permanent Australian resident and:
- Are over 55 years of age
Receive at least $1.00 of an Australian Disability Support Pension
- Meet the income and asset limits for social housing in Victoria
- Receive ongoing support from us or a registered community service provider
- Agree to repay any money that you owe from a previous public housing tenancy or bond loan.
Each applicant must sign a statutory declaration confirming the value of their assets, including property and cash.
To find out what other housing options you might have, use our housing options finder.
It usually takes around three to six months to install a movable unit after we approve the application and check that the site is suitable.
The amount of time you wait also depends on the type of movable unit and any council requirements for placing the unit.
We remove the unit when you don't need it any more. For more information, see Transferring or moving out.
In a movable unit your rent is called a hiring fee. Your hiring fee will be around 25 per cent of your total income.
For step-by-step information, see Applying for a movable unit.
If you have more questions, contact your local housing office or call us on 1300 650 172 (local call within Victoria).