Help for public housing tenants

Last updated: 19 September 2017

There are a number of services for tenants who need support or financial help.

Tenancy Plus support program

The Tenancy Plus support program used to be known as the Social Housing Advocacy and Support Program or SHASP.

Tenancy Plus aims to aims to prevent homelessness and support social housing tenants to stay in housing.

Crisis and emergency accommodation and help

If you need to move out of your home urgently, you can get help from your nearest your nearest crisis centre.

The crisis and emergency accommodation section has more about the support offered and a list of other organisations that might be able to help.

Crisis support

Centrelink’s Crisis Payment helps people receiving benefit payments who are experiencing difficult or extreme circumstances. It is a one-off payment equal to one week’s income support payment. Go to Centrelink’s Crisis Payment section for more information.

Interpreter services

If you speak a language other than English or have difficulty reading written information, you can get help over the telephone. To find out more, see Interpreter services.

Tenancy advice and help

There are organisations that can help if you want to know about renting or if you have a tenancy issue that you need resolved.

To find out more, see Get rental advice.

The Victorian Public Tenants Association is a not-for-profit organisation that represents public housing tenants in Victoria. Their website has information about being a public housing tenant.

Support for older people to stay at home

Commonwealth Home Support Programme

This program provides services to help older people stay at home and be more independent in the community.

It may be able to help you to get some assistance with daily tasks or basic care.

There are around 630 agencies in Victoria that provide the service. You need to contact them directly.

For a list of services and to find out more:

Commonwealth Home Care packages

This program provides services to help older people with slightly more complex needs to stay at home and be more independent in the community.

Younger people with a disability, dementia or other special care needs may be eligible for a home care package.

To find out more:

Discounts, loans and concessions

Public housing tenants can get financial help to buy things like fridges, washing machines, furniture and computers.

There are also concessions for tenants interested in government funded training and further education.

Tenants may also be eligible for other concessions that could help them to pay utilities bills.

To find out more, see Discounts, loans and concessions.

Keeping in Touch - Tenant contact service

This service is for public housing tenants aged 75 years and over who live by themselves. They are contacted by phone once a week to check if they are okay. To find out more, see Keeping in Touch - Tenant contact service.

Cooler places for extreme heat days

On extremely hot days, we convert some of the community facilities we manage into ‘cooler places’.

Cooler places are air-conditioned drop in centres that give tenants and residents relief from the hot weather.

Was this page useful?

Back to top