Need urgent housing?
If you are in immediate danger Call 000.
Are you homeless or at risk of homelessness?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call to get you help nearby. If after hours, they will refer you to the Salvation Army Crisis Services.
Are you escaping family violence?
Free 24 hour phone line. Someone will take your call from Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre.
You can apply by yourself, as a couple or as part of a shared household.

Do not pay a bond until your loan is approved. We cannot refund the bond amount once it's been paid to the landlord or agent (except in special cases).

To find out if you are eligible, see Bond loan eligibility.

When should I apply?

Apply after your landlord or estate agent has approved your application to rent a particular property. You cannot apply before.

How do I apply?

You can apply by yourself, as a couple or as part of a shared household.

1. Complete an application

Fill in an application for a bond loan (.docx)

Only one bond loan application form is needed for a property. Each member of your household applying for the bond loan must agree to repay the loan and take part in any legal proceedings about returning the bond money.

If more than three household members are applying, fill in an Additional bond loan applicants form (.docx) as well.

2. Take your bond loan application to your landlord or agent

They must fill in the section in the application about the property you will rent.

If your landlord does not use a real estate agent, they must also confirm they own the property or give us permission to check this with the local council.

3. What documentation will you need to provide?

You will need to include documentation with your bond loan to prove your bond loan eligibility. This will include proof of identity documents and documentation to show that you are within the income and asset limits

4. Submit your application

Send or give the forms to your local office.

What happens next?

If your bond loan is approved

We will tell you when your loan is approved. You can collect your bond loan voucher from your local office. You will need to provide photo identification to pick up the voucher.

This voucher acts as a lodgment form and is to be provided to your agent or landlord who will use this to lodge the bond with the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority. If you are unable to attend in person to collect your voucher please contact your local office to arrange alternative methods .

If your bond loan is declined

If you are unhappy about our decision, you have the right to appeal. See Appeal a decision for more information.

What if I need help?

If you need more information or have questions we haven't answered here:

  • Give us a call on 1300 650 172 (local call in Victoria) or (61 3) 9096 0000

  • Visit your local office.