Public Housing Renewal Program
The Public Housing Renewal Program will redevelop older public housing homes and create more social housing properties across metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria.
The $185 million program will create housing that is safe, secure and modern.
Eleven public housing estates will be renewed in Stage One. This includes nine estates funded by the $185 million Public Housing Renewal Program:
- Ascot Vale estate
- New Street, Brighton
- Gronn Place, Brunswick West
- Noone Street, Clifton Hill (at the corner of Alexander Street)
- Bills Street, Hawthorn
- Tarakan and Bell Bardia estates, Heidelberg West
- Abbotsford Street, North Melbourne
- Walker Street, Northcote
- Bangs Street, Prahran
with a further two estates funded by the Director of Housing:
- Flemington estate
- Stokes and Penola Streets, and Oakover Road and Railway Place West, Preston.
These estates make up 2.9 per cent of Victoria's public housing.
Stage one will create at least 1,800 new homes, with a mix of social, private and affordable housing.
For more information on the program, visit the Victorian Health and Human Services Building Authority's Public Housing Renewal Program page.
The estates will have:
- A mix of social and private and affordable housing
- At least 10 per cent more social housing properties
- A range of housing sizes.
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards and in line with the Better apartments design standards
- Accessible for all
- Energy efficient – homes will be rated 7 stars on the Nationwide House Energy Rating Scheme (NatHERS) system
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
The homes will be made for modern living, with built-in storage, internal laundries and natural light and ventilation.
People living on the estates will be asked to move while the work happens.
You can choose to:
- Return to the estate once the work is done
- Move permanently.
- Pay for your moving and utility connection costs
- Work hard to match you to a new home in the right area for you while the work happens.
Once the work is done, you can return to the estate. Rent will still be capped at 25 per cent of household income. Your tenure will not be less secure.
- Public Housing tenants who are relocated as part of the Public Housing Renewal Project will have the right to return to their estates after construction has finished
- Public Housing tenants who return to the new estates will still have their rent calculation limited to 25% of their household income
- Public Housing tenants who return to the new estates will experience no reduction in their security of tenure
We have set up an experienced relocations teams to help you. The teams started introducing themselves to residents in November 2017.
Use this table to find your relocations team. Contact details for each relocations team is after the table.
|Ascot Vale estate||Western Team 2|
|New Street, Brighton||Southern Team|
|Gronn Place, Brunswick West||Northern Team|
|Noone Street, Clifton Hill (corner of Alexander Street)||Northern Team|
|Flemington estate||Western Team 1|
|Bills Street, Hawthorn||Eastern Team|
|Bell/Bardia and Taragan estates, Heidelberg West||Northern Team|
|Abbotsford Street, North Melbourne||Western Team 1|
|Walker Street, Northcote||Northern Team|
|Bangs Street, Prahran||Southern Team|
|Stokes/Penola and Oakover Road, Preston||Northern Team|
The Northern Team is led by Foti Margiolakis, Project Leader. If you have any questions or need to contact the team, call 0412 258 380 or email the Northern Team.
The Southern Team is led by Jackie Monghan, Project Leader. If you have any questions or need to contact the team, call 0429 183 663 or email the Southern Team.
The Eastern Team is led by Elpi Anasta, Project Leader. If you have any questions or need to contact the team, call 0477 846 423 or email the Eastern Team.
Western Team 1
Western Team 1 is led by Rachel O'Brien, Project Leader. If you have any questions or need to contact the team, call 0477 841 588 or email the Western team.
Western Team 2
Western Team 2 is led by Hoang Nguyen, Project Leader. If you have any questions or need to contact the team, call 0413 602 046 or email the Western team.
We’ve been talking to residents, neighbours, communities and stakeholders to renew these estates and make them better places to live.
To December 2017, we have:
- Held 134 events
- Spoken to over 1,000 residents and neighbours
- Spoken to 440 key stakeholders
- Sent 6,884 letters to residents
- Sent 16,850 letters to neighbours
- Received 620 survey responses.
For more information or to ask any questions, email the Priority Projects Team.
To register for project updates, email the Priority Projects Team.
Call the Priority Projects Team on 9096 5898.
Or talk to your local relocation team leader if you are an estate resident.
- Public housing renewal program update for residents (November 2017) – English (.docx)
- Arabic update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Chinese (Simplified) update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Croatian update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Polish update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Russian update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Somali update (November 2017) (.docx)
- Vietnamese update (November 2017) (.docx)