Preston renewal project
New homes will be built on State-owned land in Preston.
State-owned land in Preston will be redeveloped at:
- Stokes Street
- Penola Street
- Oakover Road
- Railway Place West.
The project will create:
- At least 10 per cent more social housing
- A mix of social and private housing, with a range of housing sizes
- New, accessible homes that suit older residents, people with disabilities, and families
- Better landscaping, outdoor facilities and community spaces.
The new homes
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards
- Accessible for all
- Sustainable and cheaper to cool, heat and maintain
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
For more information, read the Questions and answers about the Preston renewal project (.docx).
The project is made up of two stages:
- Stage one: 68 social housing units built on Stokes and Penola Streets by the end of 2018
- Stage two: Remaining land in Preston redeveloped, including private housing to help fund the project.
People living at Oakover Road and Railway Place West will be asked to move while work happens. This shouldn't start until late 2017.
You can choose to:
- Move permanently
- Move temporarily and return to the site after the work is finished.
We will pay your moving and utility connection costs.
We’re talking to residents, neighbours, communities and stakeholders about the best way to renew these sites and make them great places to live.
Your ideas will help us create vibrant, safe and thriving communities.
You can share your ideas:
- By emailing Housing Renewal
- By phone: 13 11 72
- At a public consultation.