Older, rundown housing on the Bangs Street estate will be replaced with new, modern, low maintenance homes.
Prahran's Bangs Street estate has older, rundown buildings that cost a lot to maintain.
The project will build new, modern buildings and increase the number of social housing properties on the estate by at least 10 per cent. The estate will include private housing, which will help fund the project.
The renewed estate will have:
- More social housing
- A mix of social and private housing
- New accessible homes that suit older residents, people with disabilities, and families
- A range of housing sizes
- Better landscaping, outdoor facilities and community spaces.
Read the November 2017 Public housing renewal program update for residents (.docx).
The new homes
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards
- Accessible for all
- Sustainable homes that are cheaper to cool, heat and maintain
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
Residents living on the estate will be asked to move while the work happens. This shouldn’t start until late 2017.
You can choose to:
- Return to the estate
- Move permanently.
We will pay your moving and utility connection costs.
We’re talking to residents, neighbours, communities and stakeholders about the best way to renew these estates and make them great places to live.
Your ideas will help us create vibrant, safe and thriving communities.
You can share your ideas:
- By emailing Housing Renewal
- By phone: 13 11 72