Paying for water use

Last updated: 12 February 2015

All public housing tenants must contribute to the cost of the water they use – whether or not they have a separate water meter.

If your home has a separate water meter

You pay the bill that your local water company sends you. The bill will show how much water you have used.

How it works

  • Before you move into your home, you must tell your water company that you will be the new tenant. Your housing services officer can give you the name of your water company
  • The water company will read your water meter. They charge you for the water you use from the day you move in
  • When you receive your bill, you pay the water company directly. Ask the water company if you are eligible for a concession
  • Before you move out of your home, you must tell the water company. This is so you are not charged for water used after you leave.

If your home does not have a separate water meter

You pay a standard weekly service charge to cover the cost of the water you use.

The charge is in addition to your normal rent and will be shown on your rental account statement. You can pay it in the same way you pay your rent.

Weekly service charges

The weekly service charges are:

  • Bedsit: $0.60
  • One bedroom: $1.05
  • Two bedrooms: $1.50
  • Three bedrooms: $1.70.

These charges were worked out based on how much water public housing tenants have used in the past.

The cost has been lowered by including the government concession for water use and sewerage disposal charges. This was done so that individual tenants are not disadvantaged.

More information

For more information, contact your local office.

You can also find water use guidance in nine other languages on our departmental website:

  • Arabic
  • Chinese (Simplified)
  • Croatian
  • Polish
  • Russian
  • Somali
  • Spanish
  • Turkish
  • Vietnamese.
Was this page useful?

Back to top