Heidelberg West renewal
Older, rundown housing on the Tarakan, and Bell and Bardia estates will be replaced with new, modern, low maintenance homes.
The Tarakan, and Bell and Bardia estates have older, rundown buildings that cost a lot to maintain.
The project will build new, modern buildings and increase the number of social housing properties on the estates by at least 10 per cent. The estates will include private housing, which will help fund the project.
The renewed estates will have:
- More social housing
- A mix of social and private housing
- New accessible homes that suit older residents, people with disabilities, and families
- A range of housing sizes
- Better landscaping, outdoor facilities and community spaces.
Read the November 2017 Public housing renewal program update for residents (.docx).
The new homes
The new homes will be:
- Built to modern standards
- Accessible for all
- Sustainable homes that are cheaper to cool, heat and maintain
- Better suited to the ongoing needs of Victorians.
For more details on our ideas for renewing the estate:
- Look at the maps in the Heidelberg West renewal sketch plans (.pdf, 7.95 MB)
- An accessible version of these sketch plans will be published shortly.
These preliminary sketch plans are conversation and consultation starters. We welcome your feedback on them - please get involved.
Your feedback will help make sure the designs are in line with the community's needs and desires.
Residents living on the estates will be asked to move while the work happens. This shouldn’t start until late 2017.
You can choose to:
- Return to the estate
- Move permanently.
We will pay your moving and utility connection costs.
For more information, read Public housing renewal program relocation - Questions and answers (.docx)
The planning proposal has been referred to the Social Housing Renewal Standing Advisory Committee. This committee gives independent advice on planning proposals to the Minister for Planning.
Submissions to the committee closed on 30 August.
Learn more about the process on Planning Victoria's Bell Bardia and Tarakan Estates, Heidelberg West page.
We’re talking to residents, neighbours, communities and stakeholders about the best way to renew these estates and make them great places to live.
Your ideas will help us create vibrant, safe and thriving communities.
You can share your ideas:
- By emailing Housing Renewal
- By phone: 13 11 72
- At a public consultation.
There are three phases of public consultations:
- February 2017: Phase one - read the phase one enagagement summary report (.docx)
- April 2017: Phase two
- August 2017: Phase three - Heidelberg West estate planning proposal consultation.