Fire safety for public housing tenants

Last updated: 9 August 2017

Keep yourself and your family safe from fire by ensuring you have a working smoke alarm installed in your home.

We have some tips on how to stay safe when you are cooking or when you have heaters, cigarettes or candles burning. There is also advice on how to safely evacuate from a burning building or room.

Further information on fire safety and evacuation information:

Home fire safety advice

Smoke alarms

You should check your smoke alarm each month. Press the button at the centre of the smoke alarm until you hear 'beep, beep, beep'.

If your alarm doesn't beep or you have another problem with a smoke alarm, contact the Housing Call Centre on 13 11 72 as soon as you can.

The smoke alarm information fact sheet explains the function of the smoke alarm, as well as how to test and clean it.

You can download all the fire protection equipment fact sheets below.

Fire sprinklers

In the event of a fire in your home, the sprinkler will activate and release water to reduce the fire until help arrives.

The fire sprinkler information fact sheets explain how to avoid damaging the equipment. If it is damaged, the sprinkler may cause water damage to the property and your household items.

You can download all the fire protection equipment fact sheets below.

  • Smoke alarm information sheet (pdf)
  • Smoke alarm information sheet - easy English (pdf)

Fire safety in high-rise buildings

There is also fire safety information for people living in high-rise buildings.

Learn more about what we're doing to improve fire safety in high-rise buildings.

The What to do if there is a fire booklet explains:

  • The fire safety equipment in your unit and building
  • What to do if there is a fire in your unit
  • What to do if there is a fire in your building
  • How to stay fire-safe at home

Download What to do if there is a fire (.pdf), accessible Word version (.docx).

Public housing tenants' guide to Victorian Emergency Services (video)

We developed a video about Victorian emergency services:

  • Fire brigades (Metropolitan Fire Brigade and Country Fire Authority)
  • Ambulance Victoria
  • Victoria Police and Crime Stoppers Victoria.

Learn about:

  • How to call Triple zero (000) in an emergency – such as a fire in your home or medical emergency
  • When and how to contact Crime Stoppers
  • How to test your home smoke alarm
  • What to do if there’s a problem with your smoke alarm (Contact the Housing Call Centre on 13 11 72)
  • Some of the major causes of fire in your home.

The video is available on DVD. For a copy, visit your local housing office or email the Fire Risk Management Unit to

Watch the guide to Victorian emergency services on our youtube channel.  You can download the transcript of the videos below:

The video is also available on our youtube channel in Arabic, Simplified Chinese, Somali and Vietnamese.

Guide to Victorian emergency services video in arabic

Guide to emergency services video in Chinese

Guide to emergency services video in Somali

Guide to emergency services video in Vietnamese

Bushfire information for tenants

To prepare yourself and your family for the coming Bushfire season, read the Bushfire information for tenants brochure (.doc).

The Country Fire Authority has information to help you plan and prepare for bushfires.

More information

To learn more about fire safety, visit:


Was this page useful?

Back to top